Mountain biking is a great way to explore the green pockets of Brisbane and to get some fresh air and relax on the weekend.
From bush trails to scenic bayside tracks, Brisbane is the perfect place to hone your mountain biking skills. Whether you’re looking for a challenge or a family-friendly track, Brisbane’s dedicated MTB bush reserves have got you covered.
If you’re heading out for a ride, there’s a few things you should consider first. Follow our essential tips to have your best mountain biking experience yet.
- Stick to tracks that suit your ability: Before launching off into the bush, you should always check the difficulty of the track you are about to attempt. Riding within your skill level and ability is the best way to avoid accidents and injuries. To help you plan your ride for enjoyment, appropriate challenge level and safety, the Australian MTB guidelines rank tracks according to their difficulty, from very easy to extreme.
- Always check the map first: It’s also important to take a look at the map and determine the distance you will be riding, there and back. Also consider how long the ride will take, and whether you can complete it before dark.
- Be prepared for bike repairs: Part of the fun of mountain biking is taking risks like big jumps, which can be demanding on your bike. Also, because bush tracks can be rough and rocky, your bike may need some maintenance along the way. Take spare tubes for flat tyres, and a bike multi-tool for any mechanical repairs. You don’t want to get halfway through a track and then have to walk back because of something simple like a flat tyre.
- Never ride alone: Mountain bike trails can be isolated, so it’s important to always ride with a group. Also, if you have an accident and get injured, then your fellow riders can take care of you.
- Don’t forget snacks and water: Remember to drink plenty of water to stay hydrated when doing vigorous exercise like cycling. If you are attempting a long ride, remember to pack some snacks for the trip. Staying full and hydrated will help you to ride at your best.
With the cooler weather and school holidays, now is the perfect time to set off on your mountain bike.
If you like riding, why not consider cycling to work?
At cycle2city, our fully-staffed facilities have everything you need to freshen up after your ride to work. Regardless of if you are working during the day or starting in the evening, you’ll have access to our facilities 24/7. Securely store your bike, have a shower and even put your bike in for a service at the onsite workshop…