Riding your bike is a great way to get outdoors, enjoy the fresh air and explore the city. But as a cyclist in Brisbane, there are some must know bike road rules to keep you safe.
You can ride on the footpath, provided you give way to pedestrians. If you are riding on the road, there are some rules you need to follow.
In Queensland, bicycles are considered a type of vehicle. This means you must obey general road rules like other motorists and rules specific to bikes.
When you ride a bike, you must:
- Wear a helmet (that meets the Australian Standard)
- Have 1 leg on each side of the seat
- Face forwards
- Keep at least 1 hand on the handlebars
On the road, it’s important to be aware of other vehicles and ride safely. When riding behind vehicles, you must keep at least 2m between you and the back of a vehicle when you follow them for over 200m. Also, you need to avoid being a traffic hazard, so do not ride into the path of a driver or pedestrian.
When you are going to turn right, you must use a hand signal. To do this, extend your right arm out horizontally, from the right side of the bicycle. This is important to let other road users know where you are going.
Keeping left and overtaking:
When you ride, you must:
- Ride as close as possible to the left side (or on the road shoulder) on a single lane road, or, you may take up any position within the lane on a multi-lane road
- Ride to the left of any oncoming vehicle
- Not overtake another vehicle on the left if that vehicle is indicating and turning left
- Not overtake another vehicle on the left if it is not safe
- Not ride with more than 2 riders side by side unless you are overtaking another rider
- Ride no more than 1.5m apart, if travelling beside another rider
Simply follow these road rules to have a great time riding around Brisbane and stay safe. For more information, visit the Queensland Government website.
Looking for a way to spend more time on your bike during the week? Why not try riding to work?
At cycle2city, our fully-staffed facilities have everything you need to freshen up after your ride to work. Regardless of if you are working during the day or starting in the evening, you’ll have access to our facilities 24/7. Securely store your bike, have a shower and even put your bike in for a service at the onsite workshop…